Trump Faces Second Impeachment Threat After Riling Mob to Storm Lawmakers' Assembly

09/01/2021

United States President Donald Trump could be impeached for a second time after a mob of his supporters broke into the Capitol building, which houses the country's legislature, on Wednesday, causing lawmakers to shelter in fear and leading to the deaths of six people.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has threatened to impeach Trump unless he resigns "immediately" for his role in inciting the attack, which led to the death of a Capitol police officer from injuries sustained in the mob attack and the shooting of a Trump supporter by police on site.

The mob had gathered a short distance away from the famous building for a rally given by Trump, who had urged his followers to "stop the steal" of the presidential election, basely alleging that Joe Biden's victory was based on fraudulent tactics.

Following the rally, hundreds of Trump supporters stormed and vandalized the Capitol building where lawmakers had gathered to certify Biden's victory.

A temporary curfew in Washington that night after supporters had been cleared from the building and lawmakers had returned to certify the new president's victory.

US prosecutors have since identified a man wearing a horned helmet at the attack as Jacob Anthony Chansley, with another man, Adam Johnson, who was seen in a viral photograph carrying Pelosi's lectern through the halls of the Capitol, also arrested. 

"If the president does not leave office imminently and willingly, the Congress will proceed with our action," Pelosi wrote in a letter to lawmakers.

The House is scheduled to be in session on Monday, and articles of impeachment cannot be introduced until then.

Per the constitution, lawmakers are allowed in introduce charges and vote in a few days. If Trump is convicted, the Senate could vote to ban him from holding office again.

Trump has been unable to communicate through social media platforms in recent days, after Twitter and Facebook suspended him from their platforms.

"After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence," Twitter announced.

"In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action,” it added.

Facebook said it will "indefinitely" block Trump as "risks of allowing the president to continue to use our service during this period is simply too great."

"Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said.

On Wednesday afternoon, amid the events, Trump released a video saying the election was "stolen from us," but telling supporters to "go home now … we have to have peace."

In a second video released later that day, he said he was "outraged" at the "lawlessness" and said he would no longer contest Biden's victory and would support a "seamless transition of power."

Biden's inauguration is set for January 20.